Every gardener knows that zucchini is an abundant plant that keeps on giving, so this Santa Maria style recipe is a wonderful way to put them to good use! Serve it for breakfast, brunch or dinner, as a side dish or a meal in itself. This zucchini-chile-cheese casserole will impress zucchini lovers and win over on-the-fence folks.
- 2 lbs. zucchini (about 8 small zucchini)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp. Susie Q's Santa Maria Style Seasoning
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (7 oz.) can diced mild green chiles
- 4 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice zucchini into ¼” thick rounds; you should have about 7 cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, seasoning, baking powder, and flour until smooth. Stir in the parsley, garlic, onion, green chilies, cheese and zucchini.
- Spoon into greased 9”x13” baking dish. Toss the croutons with the melted butter then sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until set in center and zucchini is tender when pierced.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.