This sweet potato and apple casserole makes a great alternative to the marshmallow covered sweet potato casserole that adorns most holiday buffets. Our Susie Q’s Santa Maria Style Seasoning adds a delightful, savory touch that pairs beautifully with the tartness of the apples. Give this sweet and sophisticated treat a try for your next gathering!
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 3 tart apples (such as Granny Smith)
- 5 tbsp. butter, softened
- Susie Q' Santa Maria Style Seasoning to taste
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Boil the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes, then drain, peel and cut into 1/2" thick slices.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into 1/4" thick slices.
- Grease bottom of 9" square baking dish with 1 tbsp. of the butter and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange a layer of sweet potatoes in the dish and season generously with Susie Q's. Cover with a layer of the apples. Dot with the remaining butter. Repeat the layers ending with a sprinkle of Susie Q's.
- Mix the cider and lemon juice together and drizzle over the potato/apple layers.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.