This simply delicious "Santa Maria style" turkey recipe takes a twist on the traditional roasted turkey. The unmistakable flavor of Susie Q's Santa Maria seasoning gives depth to a perfectly seasoned bird with crisp mahogany skin glazed with a hint of sherry and citrus.
- 1 fresh turkey, 12-16lbs rinsed, neck and giblets removed
- 1/2oz (per 3lbs) Susie Q's Santa Maria Seasoning
- 6-8oz Susie Q's Sherry Citrus Rib Glaze
- 2tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 orange, sliced 1/2" thick with peel
- 1 lemon, sliced 1/2" thick with peel
- A few fresh sprigs each, thyme and sage
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Season body cavity generously with Santa Maria seasoning.
- Place onion, orange and lemon slices, thyme and sage in cavity.
- Truss the bird with butchers twine if desired.
- Rub the outside of the turkey with butter or olive oil and season exterior with more Susie Q's seasoning.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan and cook for 2 hours.
- Brush with the Sherry Citrus Glaze, then add a small amount of water to the bottom of the roasting pan to prevent glaze from burning.
- Continue basting with glaze and pan juices every 15 minutes until turkey is done.
When done, (total of 3-4 hours for a 12-16lb bird) transfer turkey to a warm platter and cover loosely with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Drizzle sliced turkey with pan juices if desired.