This cream of broccoli soup recipe is simple, satisfying, and much healthier than the canned stuff. The addition of rice helps to give this soup its creamy base and our Santa Maria Seasoning adds a zesty punch of flavor. Mix it up by substituting cooked peas, carrots or asparagus instead of broccoli.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. Susie Q's Santa Maria Seasoning
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. uncooked long grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- Heat the butter in a large pot and sauté the onion, leek, and celery for about 2 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the Susie Q's, cayenne pepper, rice and 1 cup of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Purée the mixture in a blender until smooth and return to the pot.
- Purée the cooked broccoli and remaining 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth in a blender until smooth and stir into the pot.
- Add the milk or cream and heat, stirring constantly, until piping hot.