Tender chicken and corn tortillas in a creamy sauce are baked to gooey, cheesy perfection in this Santa Maria style casserole. We all know weeknights can get a little crazy, and having a make-ahead meal, prepped and ready to bake, can be a life saver! This zippy casserole is the perfect way to spice up your dinner table.
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. Susie Q's Santa Maria Seasoning
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 (7 oz.) can whole green chiles
- 1 lb. shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Butter, for greasing the baking pan
- Season the chicken breasts with Susie Q's, wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour at 400°F. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, remove the skin and bones (if not using skinless, boneless breasts), and break into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the tortillas and chiles into thin strips.
- Combine the soups, milk, and chopped onion in a bowl and mix well.
- Butter the bottom and sides of 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Add the water to pan.
- Assemble the casserole by layering the tortilla strips, chicken, chiles and soup mixture, in that order. Season with additional Susie Q's at this point, if desired. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 24 hours or overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
- Remove the foil and bake at 300°F for 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden.
- Garnish with chopped chiles, green onions and a dusting of paprika, if desired.