When it comes to special occasion roasts, prime rib takes center stage. The name “prime rib” just sounds impressive, and it is, but impressive doesn’t have to mean difficult. The delectable flavor in this prime rib recipe comes from an entire head of garlic and a generous amount of Susie Q’s Santa Maria Style Seasoning which produces a deep brown, crackling crust and juicy pink center.
- 1 full prime rib roast (7 bone)
- 1/4 cup garlic infused olive oil
- 1 head garlic cloves, peeled
- Susie Q's Santa Maria Style Seasoning - 1 oz. per each 3 lbs. of meat (a 12-14 lb. roast would require 4-5 oz. of seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Place the rib roast, bones up, in large, shallow roaster.
- Pierce holes randomly in the roast and stuff each hole with a garlic clove.
- Rub the entire surface of the roast with olive oil and sprinkle with the Susie Q's seasoning.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until the bones are browned. Remove the roast from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 250°F.
- While roast is out of the oven, turn it over so that the bones are now are on the bottom. Return to the oven and continue roasting until the internal temperature reaches 130°F, around 3 hours.
- Remove the prime rib from the oven, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and allow the roast to rest for 30 minutes.
- Prepare an au jus with pan drippings and serve with Yorkshire pudding or mashed potatoes. We always serve horseradish on the side, both creamed and straight.
Serves: 16-18 @ 3/4 lb. per person