Red beans and rice is a filling and flavorful meal that is steeped in Louisiana tradition, but we’ve given this classic recipe a Santa Maria Style twist with the use of our pinquito beans and Susie Q's seasoning. Ham hock adds a rich, meaty depth to this dish and our carefully balanced pinquito bean seasoning adds the flavors of red chili, onion, garlic, and other spices which pairs wonderfully with the smoked sausage.
- 1 (19 oz.) package Susie Q’s Pinquito Beans with Seasoning
- 9 cups water
- 1 ham hock
- 1 lb. smoked sausage*, sliced
- 6 cups prepared white rice
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine the pinquito beans, water, seasoning packet, ham hock and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, until the beans are tender.
- Remove the ham hock from the pot and shred or cut the ham from the bone. Stir the ham back into the beans. .
- To serve, place one cup of rice into a bowl and top with about 1 cup of the bean mixture.
*Experiment with a favorite smoked sausage from your region. California Linguica provided excellent results.